April 15, 2006

Thuja Love


Project : Thuja from Winter Knitty
Yarn: Artyarns Supermerino #130
Needles: Bryspun 5" sz.5 DPN's

I have to admit, I really enjoyed knitting these socks. At first I was a little hesitant because of the weight of the Supermerino, but I have to tell you, when I tried these babies on . . . my feet were in heaven. The softness of the yarn makes for an incredibly plush sock that you would not want to take off. Mama is going to love these.
Part of the enjoyment is due to the needles I used. The pattern called for size 6 double pointed needles. I already had a pair of sz. 6 Lionbrands , but I don't like them. They are just too stiff and too long. So while cruising one of my local yarn haunts I came across Bryspun's five inch double pointed needles. Knitting Nirvana y'all. I have never been so excited about finding the "right" needles before. It may sound a bit crazy but it made all the difference in knitting these socks. I especially like the points. No split strands! Once I cast on, it was a breeze to knit.
Once these were completed, I had planned on making a pair for my cousin. However, I am rethinking that. I don't want to get bored with the pattern. So, I have been working on a spinoff of the Jaywalker sock to use with the Supermerino yarn. I have a few kinks to work out, but I will definitely keep you posted.

No comments: