April 26, 2006

Bush Ice Cream and a Caribbean Breeze

Back in the early 90's, the summer after Hurricane Hugo, my cousin and I spent the summer in Montserrat. After a year of endless exams, monotonous work and the constant rush of New York City, we were in dire need of a break. One of our favorite past times was going into town to run errands for Granny. That gave us time to hang out at the circle and meet with our friends. We would get teased because one of the things we had to have was "Bush" Ice Cream . . . better known as pistachio. Sitting there on the giant tree that was felled by Hugo and eating that homemade ice cream under the endless blue sky was our little taste of heaven ... and New York was light years away. When I initially decided to knit socks for K, I had a hard time choosing yarn. Color really moves me and nothing seemed right, until I saw Artyarn's Supermerino #140. The craving for pistachio ice cream and a Caribbean breeze hit me hard. Still riding on my high of working with the yarn from knitting Thuja, I immediately scooped up 3 hanks. Then, I steered the car towards Utica Avenue to pick up a pint of Pistachio. On the ride home I tried to think of a pattern I would use. I liked Thuja but I wanted to do something different. The Jaywalker was cool but I would have to adjust it for the yarn. This is what I came up with:
I call it the Runway Sock. The chevron and feather pattern reminded me of an airport runway and thus had me thinking about somewhere far, far away. The pattern is very simple and it is a quick knit. The only thing I would probably do over is the cast on. I casted on using a cable cast on. I love the neatness of the edge. I felt the long tailed cast on would be too bulky and I didn't like it too much in doing Thuja. However, it provided the stretch . I won't change the cast on for the partner of this sock but I will make a mental note for next time.

No comments: