June 18, 2007

So Much To Tell Part II

For our five year anniversary, the husband and I decided to go to Mexcio. Woo Hoo ... any chance to get out the concrete jungle I embrace with absolute JOY! We were looking forward to some sun and much needed relaxation, so we didn't want to stay in Cancun, and there were three criteria we wanted ... 1) Adults Only ( sorry kiddies but the adults need some play time too) 2) Ultimate Relaxation ... partying is okay but for some reason I can't stay up past 12am anymore, and 3) Over the Top Romance. Being married 5 years is a rare occurance and a milestone these days. While doing our research we came upon the El Dorado Royale in the Mayan Riviera. Adults (Couples) only, all inclusive AND affordable. What really reeled us in was the suite with the swim up pool right outside your door. OMG!

We hopped on Jet Blue (#1 in my book ... especially for us long legged peoples) and it was smooth sailing to the Yucatan Penninsula. After a short ride from the airport, we arrived at the resort. Once through security, we entered into a jungle filled with lush foilage and the melodies of birds. At the lobby entrance we were greeted with cool minted cloths, champagne and the most amazing smell being piped through the air conditioning system. The ride to our room on one of the many golf carts that whiz around the property afforded us a mini tour. We were spellbound at the vividness of it all.

The coolness of the room enveloped us, however, we were eager to see what the resort had to offer. We tried to pace ourselves and take it slow and decided to walk around. Usually it takes us about a day and a half to calm down and get into the flow of the place but for some reason it seemed easier this time. We headed to one of the many cafes on the property and enjoyed our first Mexican Pizza. I was hooked. Dinner was an extraordinary affair. The hotel has instituted a Gourmet Inclusive policy which is amazing to say the least. That night I had a Salmon Ceviche that was the most refreshing thing I have ever tasted.

The next day found us refreshed but eager to explore so, we called a taxi and spent the day in Playa del Carmen. It's Fifth Avenue is full of colorful shops and luxurious boutique hotels. I didn't know where to look first. I immediately fell in love with the colorful Mexican Talavera and black clay pottery. When I came upon the lavishly decorated ceramic sinks, I lost my breath and kept trying to figure out how to get one home on the plane! All that ooohing and aahhhing made us ravenous so we headed for a restaurant to enjoy authentic Mexican cuisine. Stuffed Poblano Peppers, Tamales, Taquitos, Guacamole, Chicken Enchiladas OH MY! Completely satiated, we made our way down the rest of fifth avenue and onto the beach ... but we didn't have our bathing suits with us. So we ignored the call of the white sand and turquoise surf and headed back to our taxi rendezvous point.

Part lll ... The Mayan Ruins at Chichen Itza!

3 comments:

WandaWoman said...

Happy anniversary to you and the hubby! 5 years is a milestone. And of course every year of wedded bliss is something to celebrate.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm so glad you and hubby took a trip and didn't go for the general fifth anniversary gift––silverware!LOL

Evelyn said...

Congratulations on making it for five years! Happy Anniversary. Cherish every single moment.

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I will post again, honest I will. As soon as I can squeeze another 20 minutes into my day. . . ;-)