June 16, 2006

Joy Comes in the Morning

Joy comes in the Morning. I remember the pastor belting that out one Sunday when I was younger. To amuse myself, I would try to think all the possible reasons why Deacon Roberts always had a sour look on his face. My mother told me once that he didn't eat enough prunes, but as observant as I was, I knew it had to be his wife's offensive smelling perfume. It was the kind that lingered a long while after she was gone. After service had ended and everyone was gathered outside or in the basement to buy a fish dinner, all you had to do was follow your nose and you knew exactly where she had been during the day. Her perfume was THAT strong. Eeeewww! However, when the Pastor made that statement, for the life of me, I could not understand what he meant by it ... until now.

The past couple of weeks have been an emotional rollercoaster for us.

First, we received a call that my husband's aunt was in the hospital. She had a series of strokes after complaining all week of headaches and not feeling well. One proved to be fatal. At first her prognosis looked bleak. She was unconscious but she was breathing on her own. Her church has been putting the prayer line into over-drive and family and friends have been holding a constant vigil by her bedside ... but ... Joy Comes in the Morning! On Thursday she finally opened her eyes. The doctors are not sure how much comprehension she has and they are constantly doing neuropathic tests. Right now, baby steps is all we are asking for and we are taking one day at a time. We just want her to take her time and heal.

The day after we were informed of Aunt Gertrude, my Mother called me to tell me my Great Uncle Henry lost his battle with colon cancer. We were aware of his illness but I guess we didn't realize just how sick he was. When he was diagnosed, he was already in stage four and not given much time. Uncle Henry was the one you would call on when you needed ANYTHING and never complained about doing it either. My mother was devastated and as her oldest, I helped her gather her things and hopped on Jet Blue to Florida. We take solace in knowing that his last days were spent surrounded by his family and grandchildren ... and that he has to suffer no more. ... and ... Joy Comes in the Morning! The day after his death, his daughter, my cousin found out she is pregnant ... AND ... the baby is due on her father's birthday (excuse me while I break out into a Mahalia styled hymn).

After returning home, I've been searching for the perfect baby pattern to knit. Because she lives in Florida, I want to make something in cotton and either in yellow or green. I love this Sweet Pea set from Knitting at Knoon.
You can order it as a kit from Jimmy Beans Wool and it calls for Rowan's RYC CashCotton 4ply. I really like the Limon color and may pair it with white to do a striped blanket. The baby is due after Christmas so I have some time, but I want to start now . . . just to give myself some time. I am going to be patient though. Can't rush this one.

No comments: