October 09, 2006

Fearless

I was enticed by the smoky colors radiating from my computer screen...tempting me to bid...and I won! Woo Hoo, gotta love eBay. I was looking for some sock yarn for a project for my mother. I can't decide whether to make her socks or a shawl. However, I can't stop touching this yarn. It is a whopping 4 ounces (550 yards) of 100% superwash merino in smoky gray with a touch of brown and a dab of pink. Check out the eBay shop. You will not be disappointed. I have my eye on the Superwash Merino sock yarn in the Marrakesh color way. I can't wait. Oh, Deb from Fearless Fibers also has a blog...check her out.

So you are wondering where I have been huh? (Thanks for asking Kelz!) I've been lurking here and there always keeping up with what's happening around the blog scene, but I have started a new job in the concrete jungle (NYC y'all). It's a funny thing. Seven years ago, I gave up the fashion industry because I was just plain burned out. Everytime I turned around, another corporate merger made one more of my friends unemployed and left in the dust. Job security was a thing of my grandparents era and I knew I had to be prepared for the worst. To be honest, when it did happened, I was thrilled. I no longer needed an excuse to be there for every cough, doctor's appointment or much needed mental health day. I kissed the fashion corporate world goodbye, vowing never again to be victim of the clawing, cat scratching, conniving undercurrent that fuels one of the major fashion capitals of the world. So, when I received the call to help design fashion catalogs, I had to really think long and hard about it. I was getting bored with working from home, but I didn't want to give up my independence. But alas, the almighty dollar makes the world go 'round and the Mal Man is getting bigger every second. I bit my tongue, dusted off the power-suit, tightened the laces on my sneakers and hit the concrete at full speed. Things are a little less hectic on the direct-mail end of the fashion industry and I am not stressing as much as I used to. Well, a ride on the NYC Subway will make anyone lose some hair and turn gray, but all is going well so far. =-) ... AND I am in walking distance of School Products. What a perk!

1 comment:

WandaWoman said...

Hey, so nice to see you! I just popped by the other day to see if Bloglines had maybe dropped you. That's tough to go back in to the concrete jungle again, but you sound content and not too stressed about it! Glad the job is working out for you. The yarn you purchased is just lovely. If you're looking at a shawl, Swallowtail from the fall IK is a nice one as is the Diamond Fantasy Scarf (scarf version only takes 350 yds -thru www.siviaharding.ca)