January 08, 2006

Harlem On My Mind

FINALLY . . . a Girl's Day Out with the gang! It's been a long time coming. We actually haven't been out since Laurie got married in August. Needless to say, we were long overdue. So after the threeways and the catching up, we decided to meet at the Harlem Tea Room for a light lunch and then head downtown to see Memoirs of a Geisha.
The minute I stepped out of the train station I immediately was transported back in time when every Saturday was spent on 125th. Street. I felt the warmth of my mother's hand wrapped around mine as I recalled how we used to we high step it through the streets after my dance class at Ruth William's. After meeting up with my Grandmother and catching a quick bite at Woolworth's, we would often dodge in and out of the stores, searching for nothing in particular but loving being among the people. Women with cornrows and fros and men with shiny domes! HA! Those were the times. My big eyes took in everything, from the women pushing baby carriages to the hustlers pushing drugs. That was Harlem . . . beautiful, colorful and always at the tipping point.
As I made my way up Madison Avenue, I couldn't believe how much "Uptown" had changed. Brand new co-ops have replaced the burned out buildings and lots full of debris.
Harlem has a new attitude but there is a hefty price being paid. Those who have been in Harlem for generations are now being pushed out by neighborhood improvement efforts. It is really bittersweet . . . (I'll save the revolutionary rhetoric for another time. I am much to mellow at the moment)

After my nostalgic moment, I was greeted by the soothing vibe of the Harlem Tea Room.
It was so relaxing and lovely. I had the Tropical Cyclone Tea (
green sencha and assam blended with hibiscus rose petals, blue mallow blossoms, sunflower petals, and mango/passion fruit/ pineapple flavor) with a scone and a Curry Chicken Salad sandwich. I was in heaven. relaxing with the girls and catching up on all the gossip. Later, relaxed, contented and feeling good, we made our way to Times Square to see Memoirs of a Geisha. This is the perfect movie to see with your "Girls". It is truly a beautiful movie and the imagery is incredible! I would love to see it again. Since the day had a "tea" theme, to commemorate the day, I decided to order this for everyone. Before parting ways, we vowed not to go so long without seeing eachother again. Spending time in the company of your "sisters" is so vital, especially when we are so busy doing for others. This time, doing for ourselves felt realllllly good. I can see this becoming a (good) habit.

No comments: