December 04, 2005

The First

The first snowfall of the season always leaves me in awe. As the snow blankets the city, a calming hush overtakes the blair of sirens and neon lights. There is nothing like waking up to discover it has snowed during the night. I rushed through the house like I was a five year old waking everyone so that they could see the freshly fallen snow before the filth and grime of the streets had a chance to take over. Armed with boots, hats, gloves and scarves, Mali, Sheba and I ventured over to Prospect Park to take it all in. Sheba had a ball running and eating the snow while Mali and I pelted eachother with snowballs in a mock battle. Satiated, we headed home, randomly throwing snowballs at buses passing by. Once inside, we gave in to the steaming cups of hot chocolate ... and with warmed bellies, were lulled asleep by the sound of the snow plows making their way up the street. There is nothing like the "First Snow".

No comments: